Welcome!

Thanks for calling by. I hope you enjoy what you see, feel free to leave a comment and call again to catch up on my news.

Saturday 28 April 2012

Furniture in the retreat

This week I've been busy making up for lost time and working on the retreat. The first thing I've made is a dresser for the kitchen area. While I was thinking about the kitchen I sanded down a little footstool and a kitchen chair - just enough to take away that really shiny finish that bought furniture often has. I'll be painting the chair and stool in due course.

You can see that I hung a lace-edged blind at the window too.

The dresser is made from mat board painted with three coats of a medium green emulsion, then one coat of a much paler green. I then sanded all that down a little before giving it a quick wash of water-based wood stain in oak. I left that on for only a few seconds then wiped it off again with a piece of kitchen paper, just leaving a very faint and patchy wash behind. Then I sanded it again (very fine sandpaper) and finally buffed it with a piece of scrunched up brown paper to give it a natural looking sheen. This was all done before I started to cut out the pieces to make the dresser.

I also have a little more stitching to show you ...

Do you remember the sycamore seeds? Here they are on the completed box. I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the result.

At our last embroiderer's guild meeting we learned how to do book-binding and I made this little notebook. I padded the cover and covered it with a piece of blue linen then made this needlelace heart to adorn the front cover. The lace was a bit of an experiment as I used some quite different and much thicker threads than usual but, again, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.


While I was in Anglesey last weekend my sister-in-law took me to a little embroidery shop close to where she lives and I bought - and stitched - these two little cross stitch designs. Cute aren't they? And they were being sold to raise funds for Cancer Research - so all in a good cause too.

And finally ...

My garden is tiny. I may have mentioned this fact before. Six years ago, when my husband died, I bought a memorial tree - a bonsai crab apple - to commemmorate his life and his love of nature. The tree was already about 25 years old when I bought it and each year in April it puts on this wonderful display of blossom. In the autumn it even produces tiny crab apples.

6 comments:

  1. The dresser and chairs look great. It is hard to believe that you used mat board for the dresser. Thanks for explaining how.
    The stiched pieces are beautiful.
    I love the bonsai in full blossom. Glorious! What a wonderful idea.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dresser its a wonderful piece. Your stitched items are all gorgeous. Wonderful idea with the tree. The blooms are beautiful.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judith! You did wonderful work with the furniture, well done! I admire your needlework since I have discover your blog, it is beautiful also the ones for a very good cause. I like the idea of your bonsai memorial tree. The blooms are wonderful, take good care for it.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un trabajo fantastico con esos muebles.
    Me encanta lo que has hecho con la costura, precioso.
    Una gran idea la de tu arbol bonsai.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire people that make their own things. I think making furniture can be challenging sometimes but i guess it's the best way to have exactly what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty stitching and gorgeous tree - what a wonderful way to commemorate your husband's life.
    Hugs,
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete